Whether you have acne, dry skin or dark spots, add oregano essential oil to your skin care routine. Know the benefits of oregano essential oil for skin and how to make a DIY face mask.
If you love pizzas and pastas, you probably sprinkle some oregano on top of them. But it is not only used as a herb to flavour food. Essential oil is also made by using the leaves of the oregano plant. You can use this oil to deal with acne, dark spots or skin dryness. All you have to do is mix the oregano essential oil with a carrier oil, and apply it to your skin. You can also make a homemade face mask with oregano essential oil. As you get to know the benefits of oregano essential oil for skin, follow these steps to make a DIY face mask too.
What are the benefits of oregano essential oil for skin?
Oregano essential oil has gained popularity in skin care due to its potential benefits for various skin types. Here are some benefits:
1. Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties
Oregano essential oil contains compounds such as carvacrol and thymol, which possess potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. These properties can help combat acne-causing bacteria, reduce redness, and soothe irritated skin, says dermatologist Dr Sonali Kohli.
2. Antioxidant powerhouse
The essential oil is rich in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. These antioxidants can aid in slowing down the ageing process, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and promoting a youthful complexion.
3. Natural moisturiser
Oregano essential oil is known to possess moisturising properties, making it suitable for dry and dehydrated skin. It helps to replenish moisture, nourish the skin, and restore its natural balance.
4. Skin brightening and even-toning
The natural compounds found in oregano essential oil can help fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and blemishes, resulting in a more even-toned complexion. It can also provide a radiant glow to the skin, says the expert.
Healthshots Inner Circle An exclusive wellness community for women
How to use oregano essential oil?
Oregano essential oil can be used by women with different skin types. But those with sensitive skin should avoid it. Here are ways to use it:
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
1. Oily and acne-prone skin
Oregano oil’s antimicrobial properties make it an excellent choice for oily and acne-prone skin, says Dr Kohli. Dilute a few drops of oregano oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil, and apply it to the affected areas. However, it is crucial to perform a patch test before using oregano essential oil on your face to ensure it does not cause any adverse reactions.
2. Dry skin
For women with dry skin, it is important to dilute oregano essential oil further to avoid any potential irritation. Mix a few drops of oregano essential oil with a gentle moisturiser or carrier oil, and apply it to the skin. This can help soothe dryness, reduce inflammation, and provide hydration.
How to make oregano oil mask?
To make a homemade face mask using oregano essential oil, do the following:
- 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 to 3 drops of oregano essential oil
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and honey until well blended.
- Add oregano essential oil to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Apply the mask to cleansed skin, but avoid the eye area.
- Leave the face mask on for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow it up with your regular skin care routine.
- Oregano essential oil is highly concentrated, so always dilute it with a carrier oil or other suitable ingredients before applying it to the skin.
- Perform a patch test on a small area of your skin before using oregano oil to ensure you do not have any adverse reactions or allergies.
- Avoid using oregano oil near the eyes or on broken skin.
- If you experience any irritation or discomfort after using oregano essential oil, stop using it and consult a dermatologist.
Oregano oil offers a range of benefits for the skin, including its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. It can be used for different skin types, helping to combat acne, moisturise dry skin, brighten complexion, and promote a youthful appearance.